Papillion is a great place to live, work and play. In fact, our community has been consistently recognized as one of the best places to live in the nation and ranked as high as #2 by Money Magazine among small cities. The recognition is a reflection of the high quality of life that our city, school district and business community strive to achieve for our residents. You will find that the many facets of our community are filled with great people who make Papillion a place that feels like home.
I encourage you to explore this website to learn about all that the Papillion community has to offer. Our city is filled with great parks and trails, whether you like hiking and biking or are looking for a playground to enjoy with your family. In addition to the parks in your neighborhood, Halleck Park, Walnut Creek Recreation Area, Prairie Queen Recreation Area, Big Elk Lake Recreation Area and Portal Recreation Area are each amazing outdoor spaces.
Speaking of outdoor spaces, make sure to catch one of the many free and ticketed events at SumTur Amphitheater. The venue plays hosts to a number of community events as well as performances by national acts. If you are a sports fan, you also must visit Werner Park for a Triple A baseball game with the Omaha Storm Chasers.
Be sure to stop by Sump Memorial Library, Papillion’s public library, to receive your library card. The library is filled with resources for education, enrichment and entertainment for both children and adults. Also, visit the Papillion Landing Community Center to learn about the array of activities and programs offered by our Recreation Department.
Last, but certainly not least, Papillion is a great place to shop. Among other areas of our city, Downtown Papillion, Shadow Lake Towne Center, the Shoppes at Market Pointe and Midlands Place each have an array of unique offerings.
Once again, welcome to the Papillion community! If you have any questions about our community or City services, feel free to call the Mayor’s Hotline at 402-827-1111.
Quick Facts about Papillion
- Population: 24,159; Jurisdiction: 40,000+
- Average Resident Age: 38
- Median Household Income: $90,000
- Median Home Price: $222,300
The City of Papillion has the lowest property tax levy of cities in the Omaha metropolitan area: 43.4 cents per $100 of assessed valuation. The owner of a $225,000 house pays approximately $976.56 per year or $81.38 per month in property tax to the City of Papillion. Here are the services they receive in return:
- Police Department: 47 sworn officers who respond to 22,000 calls for service each year, DARE, SRO and crime prevention programs;
- Fire Department: Through partnerships with the Papillion Rural Fire District and the City of La Vista, the City of Papillion employs 61 professional firefighters who respond to more than 5,000 calls for service each year;
- Public Works: Maintains 347 lane miles of roads, provides curb-to-curb snow removal within eight hours of storm’s end;
- Recreation: Offerings include Papillion Landing recreational complex, Papio Bay Aquatic Center, SumTur Amphitheater, the 55+ Club and two 18-hole golf courses, among many other activities and events;
- Parks: 21 city parks, 33 miles of hiking/biking trails;
- Library: 291,021 annual circulation, 62,000 items, offers youth and adult programs, makerspace and STEM equipment;
- Planning and Building: Guides city’s commercial and residential growth, provides timely reviews of building projects and inspections to ensure construction and fire safety.